Chapter 15

“May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” Romans 15:5-6


David


Our icy fingers lay entwined on my chest. The outlines of the room just starting to become visible in the whispered greeting of the new day. It was indeed a brand new day, unlike any other in my life so far. I gazed down at my wife who lay curled up like a little ball, snuggled into my side. A small frown creased her brow and I wondered what she was dreaming about. I had so many dreams for us, born of the seeds God had planted  in my heart all those months ago. I could not wait to see them grow as we built a life together.


Our wedding night had not exactly gone to plan. The tiny wood cabin we had rented at the reception venue was on a lake and looked wonderfully romantic. It had been decorated with flowers and all sorts of sweet treats, set to inspire a passionate atmosphere. Minutes after our arrival however, the power went out, casting us into complete darkness. The midwinter temperatures were below freezing and the flimsy bedsheets did absolutely nothing to fend off the bitter cold. This might have sounded like the ideal circumstance to generate our own heat, but neither one of us could gather enough courage to move and spent the whole night clinging to one another like hypothermic koalas. Wearing every clothing item we had in the room and covering our heads with the sheet, we laughed until we exhausted ourselves and slept in fitful bits and pieces as we shivered our way through the darkest of nights. Yet again, I was reminded that the most beautiful and memorable moments flow from unexpected circumstances and I knew that this one, would forever be locked in my heart and bring a smile to my face whenever I thought of it.   


My mind wondered to the previous day’s events. For the rest of my days I will remember what it felt like to see her walk towards me in her stunning white gown. I was breathlessly in awe of her beauty, that came from way beneath the frills and flair. She walked with an uncommon grace that had already blessed me in so many ways. Nine months to the day, since our first date, she laid her hand in mine and we promised to walk together, side by side as we navigate all the meandering curves of a life well lived. 


We knew that there was a bit of apprehension from both sides of our guest list, many unsure of what to expect. Having prayed fervently for harmony and joy on our special day, our good and faithful Father blessed the ceremony and reception with a beautiful fusion of our two worlds. Every person in attendance was touched by the presence of the Holy Spirit as He showered their hearts with love, understanding and acceptance. 


She stirred a little beside me and I drew her close, soaking in the last few moments before we had to get moving. We would have to make an unplanned stop at our new home, for a warm shower, before heading off to Durban on our honeymoon. It had always been my habit to spend a few minutes in conversation with God, first thing in the morning, and as I gazed down at her, I had nothing to ask for at all. In that moment there was only praise and thanksgiving. Warm tears of gratitude slipped across my cheeks and I prayed that whatever the future may bring, I would always be reminded of this feeling and how the Father’s abundant grace drew us together in perfect unity, in spite of all our imperfections. 


The scripture God had laid on my heart when I wrote my vows played through my mind… 

“May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” Romans 15:5-6


My voice together with hers would forever sing His praises. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6

What's it all about?

Chapter 8