Chapter 6

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.                                                     Philippians 4:5 | NIV

Deidre 


Those early days of a spirit filled walk with Jesus are so full of wonder. It reminds me a little of that scene in the 'The Wizard of Oz', when the black and white picture suddenly transforms to vivid colour. Being aware of God's presence made beautiful little moments just that much sweeter and a hunger for the Word grew into soul-deep satisfaction, nourished by the living Bread of Life. 

I was so eager to serve and learn and love and laugh, full of this new joy that was boundless in grace and mercy. Youth and children's ministry was a great environment for me and God opened many doors to speak life into little hearts. It's no wonder that Jesus said we should be like little children in our faith. Seeing a child's face light up in acceptance of powerful truths, demonstrates so beautifully the simplicity with which He calls our hearts to His own. 

As that early euphoria gave way to deeper understanding, I learned many valuable lessons. Following Jesus is not an assurance of smooth sailing. Mistakes were still made and trials rolled in from time to time, but the constant anchor of hope brought peace to my heart and always drew me back to the place where the voice of Truth resonated most clearly. No matter the circumstances, I am known and loved by majesty. 

In early 2012, I was working in foundational learning and mathematics development, while trying to balance personal needs with family commitments. My little brother was thirteen and having a very tough time finding his way through all the challenges of becoming a teen. I had grown so weary from the seemingly constant battle and was nearing  my wits end, when a friend offered a suggestion.  

She told me about a man called David, from the local gym, who worked with many youngsters through training programs and mentorship. Perhaps a challenging new  environment and a helping hand to guide him through it, was just what was needed to turn things around.  

After mulling it over for a few days and discussing it with my Dad, we decided to give it a try, having run afoul of every other option. On the following Monday afternoon I hopped in the car and headed over to the gym.  

It was late afternoon and the place was packed full of people, as the music blared and the clanging sound of dropping  weights rang out loudly. A couple of people were chatting at the door and I asked them if someone called 'David' was around?  

They pointed towards a man in a blue shirt, sitting on one of the machines, almost in the centre of the gym. As I started making my way over to him, dodging all the sweaty bodies, he must have noticed my approach and stood up from his perch.  


He was the biggest guy I'd ever seen and for a brief moment his overwhelmingly imposing frame left me slack-jawed in  astonishment. But my momentary reservation dissolved the instant he opened his mouth and an uncommon gentleness flowed humbly from his lips. In spite of the noise around us, there was a stillness, as he spoke reassuring words of encouragement over our situation and was so eager to get to  know my brother and work with him. 

Details were concluded, but I didn't leave straight away. I just sat in my car for a few moments mulling over the unexpected interaction. I didn't know anything about this enigmatic man at all, but I knew beyond question that God had led me here and that this was exactly what my brother needed right now.  

Recalling that moment always makes me reconsider the measure of a man. David's heart was revealed in that very first interaction and the size of his body paled in comparison.  

My brother took to the training schedule enthusiastically and bloomed under his guidance, even inspiring me to make some lifestyle changes and start my own fitness journey.  

Having seen the amazing rewards my brother was reaping through training with David, I jumped at the chance to work with him when he offered me assistance. Torturous as those first weeks may have been, I was overwhelmed by the changes  and progress I was making. Physically, I had never felt or looked better and there was a renewed vigour in my spirit,  prophetically preparing me for monumental change.  

For the first time in my life, I seriously thought about what it would be like to have a partner to share this journey and build a future with. I was already joy-filled, whole and satisfied in the Lord, not in need of anyone to complete or fulfil me in any way. I simply longed for a confidant who's heart was centred on the same desire as my own to intimately walk with Jesus and grow a family together. 

I had decided long ago that I was not interested in any form of casual dating and though I had no idea what the picture  should look like, God knew my heart and would reveal the path he had already laid out for me, if I was willing to trust Him.  

On that Saturday evening in early October, I stood on my knees at the side of my bed and said a simple, expectant prayer in faith. What was about to unfold would change my life forever...








Comments

  1. I have loved reading your story and look forward to the next chapter ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's it all about?

Chapter 8