Chapter 17

You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.”

Matthew 7:9-11




David  


The most profoundly defining moments happen in the gentle stillness of a heart at complete peace. A revelation, a realization an awakening…, for me, has always come in the quiet surrender of a moment shared only between my heart and that of my Saviour.


Enjoying the soft ambient glow in the hospital room, I stared down at the  sleeping little bundle in my arms. I studied her features and the way she twitched her eyebrows, wrinkled her nose and then pursed her lips into the perfect little pout. I ran my finger gently down her face and couldn’t help thinking that she was surely the most beautiful baby ever born.  


Holding her now, I could not believe I had actually been disappointed when we found out that our first born was not going to be the strapping lad I had always imagined. As the house started to fill up with pink everything’s, my heart seemed to beat a little faster with dreaded apprehension. A boy I would know what to do with, but I had a sneaking suspicion that I was about to be completely out of my depth. 


A scripture I knew well, but didn’t fully understand till now, rose in my spirit “You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.”(Matthew 7:9-11)


My fears had been entirely misplaced. God certainly does give good and perfect gifts. She was more than I could ever have asked for and I knew beyond doubt that we would be the best of friends. By God’s grace I would move mountains if she needed me to and I would spend every moment I had, making sure she knew just how completely loved she was. 


My wife had dozed off on the bed next to us, exhausted from the 27 hour labour and eventual surgery she had just endured. My heart swelled with new appreciation for her courage and strength. I remember thinking in the throws of intense labour, that she had never been more beautiful and I thanked God for blessing my life with such a formidable woman. She would be an amazing mother and I was so excited to parent hand in hand with her. 


Raylan stirred a little and I knew this sweet moment was coming to an end. She’d need her mama more than me in a minute and I’d stand sentry over both of them, guarding love’s perfect peace. 


I kissed her forehead and spoke a blessing into her ear, before gently waking Didi and laying Raylan into her welcoming arms. 


Being a dad would be a lifelong journey. There would be ups, downs and many challenges that will likely leave me scratching my head from time to time, but I would always return to this moment, again and again. I’d be reminded of the wonder of God’s good and perfect gifts, while my heart offered endless hallelujah’s in praise of His precious and glorious name.  














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6

What's it all about?

Chapter 8